Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Treetop Owls and the one and only Hello Kitty

I've been wanting to try owl cookies foreeeeeeeeever.  And I finally got my chance!
The theme of the baby shower was based on these cute stuffed animal owls:

Treetop Owls, photo from www.amazon.com
Which translated into:


I don't know what it is about owls, maybe it's their huge eyes? But they're so darned cute! Must be the big eyes. Everyone loves big eyes --> popularity of double lid surgery, hello?!  But they are not a good look on me. They make me look a little...mean. Ask me next time you see me and I'll flip my lids for you (it's a great party trick).

Some more shots of the owls and the rest of the cookies to match:



I'm JUST bordering the point of maybe putting the polka dots on break...but not yet. :)

Hrmm, maybe this artistic cookie shot doesn't really give you a good angle of the owl.

And if that wasn't enough cuteness, the same week I got to make some Hello Kitty cookies. I find it really cool that little girls are still in love with this kitty. It makes me feel less old since it was somewhat of an addiction when I was young too.  (But my all time favorite were the Little Twinstars? I had one of those super high tech pencil cases that had all those secret compartments. You TOTALLY know what I'm talking about...)

Hello Kitty inspiration:


Cookie translation:



Both the owls and Hello Kitty were done using the Royal Icing Transfers technique...I'm really loving it! It doesn't always work in every situation and it requires a lot more pre-planning but it really does come together really well and makes me less stressed out.  The downside is that there is usually a lot of breakage. I had a ziploc baggie full of cracked kitties that made me so sad to look at. 

More pictures of fully intact kitties:








Less fashion posts these days because I'm totally uninspired these days. It's getting colder and getting out of bed in the morning is hard enough without having to think about what I'm going to wear. It's been the standard t-shirt + jeans + sweater + converse these days...and resort collections are already in stores! Talk about confusion.  Plus it's the holidays so there's been a lot of baking and the kitchen is smelling really nice.  Chocolate, gingerbread and orange...oh my~~

No comments:

Post a Comment