Thursday, December 15, 2011

Penguins + Holidays + Cookie = ...

Penguin Holiday Cookies. Duh.

My first holiday cookies! I baked a whole bunch of gingerbread men, trees, stockings...and then I ended up decorating plain squares instead. Go figure. I think I don't like to be contained. Haha

I think my favorites are the ones with arms/fins and the ones with earmuffs:



I also learned:

Don't assume they are dry because you left them out overnight. I put them in bags in the morning and I guess they were still wet because all the candy eyeballs sank way back into the icing. And I think one of the penguins lost a partial fin. I won't tell you which one so you continue to think I'm a perfect icer. I'm just really, really good at photoshop.

Also, I added the "snow" onto wet (blue and white background) icing before I added the penguin thinking I was clever and skipping a step.  I had a difficult time piping the actual penguin on top of stray "snow" - it created uneven lines whenever I had to run across a "snowflake."  I should have left more negative space for the little guy but I was aiming for a more realistic snowy background. Gosh, I'm getting to anal with these cookies. Stop. Breathe. Relax. It's just a cookie.  (Funny, this is what I used to say at work..."Stop. Breathe. Relax. It's just a shirt.")



Not my favorite batch ever, but for a spontaneous freehand icing project I'm satisfied with the overall result. I do like the colors. Says "Christmas" without using red + green.  And even if they're uneven, or have wonkey eyeballs, when is a penguin NOT CUTE?

When you google 'ugly penguin' and see this:



Now THAT'S an ugly penguin.


No comments:

Post a Comment